Monday, 8 August 2011

Miniature Monday.

We had a great trip out today with our local home ed group. The weather was very kind to us, and the scenery en route helped us all really relax into holiday mode. We went to yet another wonderful place that I have not visited before, The Miniature Pony Centre on Dartmoor. So thank you to Julia for organising it! We shall definitely be returning.


It was lovely to listen to William's friend talk so enthusiastically about all the animals. Grace is also a big fan of animals and wildlife and I knew that she would want to see everything today! William on the other hand, saw all the play equipment, saw all his friends.....and was off! We did manage to catch up with him now and again, usually when he was hungry or thirsty, but the main thing was that we each had a good day doing what we enjoy.






It was a pretty quick pony ride so I'm not sure how long that will satisfy Grace's desire to ride!  She very much enjoyed it though and we did manage to come home without any ponies or requests for one!
With William still very busy playing, Phil and I took a stroll with Grace to the pets paddock. Our timing was excellent as they were just about to bring out a few animals for the children to see.




Grace held a gorgeous rabbit called Silver, stroked a Guinea Pig called Cinnamon, and a very cute little mousey called Malcolm.
It was a shame that they didn't talk about the animals at all, the only thing that Grace learned from the experience was that mice are rather incontinent, and it was at this point that she was glad she only stroked the mouse and didn't get to hold it!



Don't blink or you'll miss him!! This is the only photo we got of William all day! Part of me wishes that he would join us in the exploring of all the different things on offer, but that would be giving me enjoyment, not William! He was happy just running around with his friends and that's ok.  I stayed to watch him with his friends for a while and Grace and Phil raced off to try to get prime position for the Falconry display.

Thankfully after a short while, William felt hungry and Phil had the food, so we were able to watch the rest of the display. It was quite magnificent to be so close to such amazing birds! Again, the information given wasn't too impressive. And telling children that the birds of prey like to eat small children was just silly, disrespectful to the birds he is supposed to be caring for (he kept saying how stupid owls are) and insulting to the children's interest and intelligence. I'll get off my soapbox now and put up some of Phil's photos of what really impressed us.....the creatures themselves!


A Wise Owl!

Harris Hawk

Golden Eagle



There was still plenty more to do including a walk by the ponds, that I just could not manage today, but I'm sure the children won't complain at having to return! It was lovely to catch up with good friends and meet a few new ones too.
One lovely friend wanted to make sure our 'miniature' experience didn't end there. Having looked after some garden snails for quite a while as an educational and fun experience, my friend's snails have had lots of teeny weeny babies.........Grace to the rescue!!!






All safely in their new home! We can't have furry pets in our house as I am very allergic......so slimy ones it is! Oh joy! Well they are still one of God's creatures, and it will be interesting to watch them grow, but I'm not convinced I'll love them enough to set them free in my own garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment